The Supreme Court of Canada has announced that a two-day hearing has been scheduled for the appeal in R. v. Boudreault. The Court will hear the appeal on April 17-18, 2018.
Graham Kosakoski represents Pivot Legal Society in this appeal, which considers the constitutionality of the mandatory victim surcharge contained in s. 737 of the Criminal Code. The mandatory surcharge, which was enacted by the Harper government and has faced intense media scrutiny, requires judges to impose a fine on all offenders for all offences, regardless of the circumstances of the offender, including ability to pay.
- RK Congrats our Naomi Moses for their Call to the Bar of British Columbia
- Supreme Court of Canada to hear mandatory minimum appeal in April, 2018
- Defendant found guilty in Lemon Creek fuel spill
- RK Litigation and Mi’kmaq in P.E.I. Supreme Court
- Katrina Pacey: You Will be Missed